Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Chapter Four - CNN Crossfire

I read several transcripts on the CNN website for the show Crossfire. Until today, I had never actually heard of the show called Crossfire.

Anyway, I read several of the transcripts and really had no idea what I was reading so I decided to do a search for 'cnn crossfire' on youtube.com. And the one that I found was this one:



And I guess there were several different arguments in that episode. The main one was that Jon Stewart felt that the entire show Crossfire was detrimental to America. He argued throughout the entire episode regarding this fact and he said several things that I found very amusing and that showed his point very well:

"I thought Lincoln was good." - In regards to whether or not he thought John Kerry was the best democratic candidate for the 2004 election.

"This is what I wanted to tell you guys...stop." - Regarding the fact that he disagrees with the fact that they have the show.

"I didn't realize that the news organizations look to Comedy Central for their queues on integrity." - When they told Jon that he was sucking up to John Kerry.

"You're doing theater when you should be doing debate."

I think that I was supposed to, what's the word, give examples of places in which the participants engage in what you consider to be ethical argument. Explain why.

I think that my quotes do justice :)

1 comment:

lschaeffer said...

Good clip, Karen.

Jon Stewart does have some interesting points. Do you think they listened to him? I do agree with Jon that this kind of program is not good for America. I often imagine what people would have said about Lincoln and / or Washington if they would have been subject to this type of media scrutiny.